There are some things that can be avoided to ensure many years of enjoyment from jewellry. For example, avoid interaction with chemicals. Some everyday chemical combinations can be harsh on gold and silver. Cleaning products can affect the surface of the jewellery robbing it of its natural sheen.
It’s always a good idea to remove your jewellery when taking a shower, cleaning, applying makeup, lotions, hairspray, or perfume. Also make sure you remove your jewellery when changing clothes or sleeping, as it may cling to fabric and break or rip.
Gold & Silver Jewellery Cleaning:
Because good silver will eventually tarnish, the more care you take “now”, the more cleaning time you will save later on, so we recommend that you remove fingerprints and light tarnish with a silver cleaning cloth regularly.
To remove fingerprints, oils or dirt, add a small amount of mild liquid soap to a half cup of warm water, soak for 2-3 minutes, rinse thoroughly with clean water and dry completely.
When the silver tarnishes, it is important to clean it with a silver polisher. It is generally best to stay with well-known silver-care product manufacturers, as some inferior products may cause scratching.
High-quality Jewelry needs special care knowing some simple Jewelry rules helps to keep your precious Jewelry for generations.
Care for gold Jewelry
1. All gold rings and most precious gem stones can be cleaned with gold cleaner and a soft brush.
2. Don’t use toothpaste, baking soda and abrasives
3. Always remember to close the drain if you are using the sink
4.To restore shine on your gold Jewelry, use polishing cloth.
5. If needed, visit local jeweller annually for a professional cleaning.
Safely store your Jewelry
1. Store pieces separately, it will avoid knocking together
2. Use individual pouches or boxes
White gold jewelry care
All white gold Jewelry is Rhodium plated giving a lustre and white shine.
Rhodium has a thin layer which will wear off over time .
1.White gold can have a bit of yellow tone over time but it can be easily fixed. Take it to your local jeweller for re-plating.
Care for Sterling silver (925):
Preventive care is always easier than aftercare.
It is optimal to remove your Sterling silver jewellery during the following:
1.Household chores such as dishes, laundry and when using cleaning supplies.
2. When handling strong chemicals, sulfur, Chlorine and harsh sunlight, bleaching cream can corrode the brilliant shine on your silver.
3. Swimming pool: Take off your Sterling silver jewellery before swimming, Chlorine is a pretty harsh chemical, if you accidentally forget to remove your silver jewellery before swimming, make sure you rinse the Jewelry in water afterwards
4. Chemicals in lotions and perfumes can also affect your Sterling silver to tarnish, apply it first, allow it dry and put on your jewellery.